Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The Hearts Of The Children Turn To The Fathers

...The hour is coming, and now is, when the DEAD shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall LIVE                                                                      -John 5:25


     This past week I had an opportunity to do some family history. I always thought that it was the most boring thing on earth and my mom would always say how cool it was, but I never listened and never tried it out for myself. I know that my mom told me about why family history and genealogy are so important but it never really clicked for me, until this week. 

     Why is Genealogy Important?

There are many scriptures throughout the Bible that tell us that we cannot make it to the kingdom of heaven without baptism (John 3:5, Mark 16:16). So what happens to those who never had the opportunity to hear about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and be baptized by someone who holds the same Priesthood Authority as John the baptist, or the Apostles of The Savior? are they lost and cast off forever? Does God love all of his children? Does he want all of them to have a fair chance at returning to live with him? He does.

      Heavenly Father is our perfect father in heaven and he has created a perfect plan called The Plan Of Salvation so that all of his children can have a fair chance at learning and accepting the gospel. After we die we go to a waiting place called the Spirit World, and we will be there until the time of the Resurrection and judgement. The Lord knew that some would not have a chance to hear the gospel in this life "For this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit." -1 Peter 4:6. As it says in this scripture from the New Testament, the spirits that have passed on will be "Judged according to the flesh." they will be sought out and found by those on earth who are living and we will perform ordinances such as baptism (1 Corinthians 12:29) which they cannot do themselves while " [living]... in the spirit." All those in the Spirit World will be taught but if we do not find out who they are and perform the ordinances for them how can they enter into the kingdom of God if the Lord so clearly taught that all must be Baptized to receive salvation? The Savior himself preached the gospel to spirits in the Spirit World after he was crucified.  (1 Peter 3:18-20). We follow Christ's example in searching out lost souls and sharing the gospel with them. That is why Genealogy is important. If we don't do it then how can our brothers and sisters on the other side receive salvation and and eternal life with our Heavenly Father? 


  Family history is cool bro. just look at these dudes.

Horace Ephraim Zabriskie (Left). Alfred Christen Peterson (Right).
     I have learned a ton about my family and where I came from by taking 10 minutes and looking at familysearch.org. I learned cool things about my great great grand fathers on my grandpa and grandma's side. It turns out I'm related to someone that I never imagined I would be related to. I may be living more Southern culture when I get home than I thought I would be. I learned who the first member of the church was in the Zabriskie line. Because of his willingness to follow the gospel, thousands of people are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. There are still so many that have been without baptism and other ordinances in my line too. So I now know that there are people on the other side waiting for me to do those things for them! 

Get involved


   I challenge you to go on to familysearch.org and search out those who have not yet heard about the gospel!!! There is someone out there waiting for us! If you want to learn more about God's Plan of Salvation for his children or have any questions of where we came from, why we are here, or where we are going, talk to the missionaries! They can help! As we follow the example of Jesus Christ in sharing the Gospel with everyone on this side and the other we will truly be fulfilling the prophecy in Malachi 4, of turning the hearts of the children to the fathers and the hearts of the fathers to the children.



#LetsChatAbout    #TheHeartsOfTheChildrenTurnToTheFathers

    


     






No comments:

Post a Comment